Saturday, March 01, 2008

Nose Bill

We got a bill from the hospital for pulling the tape out of Daniel's nose. For a 'limited exam' (which consisted of taking his temperature) they charged $213, and for the actual removal of the tape (which was described as 'Foreign Body - Intranasal' the charge was $150, making a grand total of $363.00.

Using a formula that I wouldn't understand, even if I tried, the insurance company decided to pay $252.45 of that, leaving us to pay $110.55.

Which makes the NHS seem like a bargain.

In the same post, we had a bill from "Quest Diagnostics", 'cos I'd had a cholesterol test. Usually a trip to the doctor, for any reason, is $15, but this time they didn't charge me. And now I know why. This bill had a cholesterol test, a Lipoprotein (whatever that is) and a BMP (which I just looked up on Google - it's a Basic Metabolic Panel). That little lot came to $154.12, and again using their magic formula, the insurance company decided that they would pay $131.70 of that, and leave me with $22.42 to pay. These people had a nice website, so I could pay with a credit card and not have to worry about finding a stamp.

Now I look at the bill again, I realize this was for the first cholesterol test I had. I didn't know I was going to have a test, so I didn't fast. My bad cholesterol was low, but my good cholesterol was low too, so they decided to do another test. I'll await the next post.

No comments: