Saturday, January 03, 2009

Lava Tube



We were on the way to a beach, when we saw a lava tube. A lava tube happens when lava hardens on the outside (where it's cool) but keeps flowing on the inside, until it's all dribbled out, leaving a huge empty pipe made of rocks. The boys and I went to investigate it.


Here's the entrance (click on pictures to embiggen).



In some places there seemed to be two channels, here's one. The boys thought that the route was through the hole (that I wouldn't fit in) and climbed in when I wasn't looking. It's lucky Susanne wasn't there.



Lava Tube


Here's another alternative route they found. I couldn't fit through (at least, not without a lot of pain), but I could stick my camera in the hole they were heading out of.
Lava Tube

In places the roof had collapsed, leaving rubble all over the ground. Here they are climbing up one such heap of rubble.

Lava Tube


And down the other side:

Lava Tube

During this time, Susanne waited relatively patiently next to the car. When we climbed out at the end,I took this picture of Susanne. If you look closely, you can see how far away she was. Actually, you can't. If you click on the picture to get the bigger version, and know where to look , you can kind of see something that looks a bit like a person.

Lava Tube

No comments: