Wednesday, May 24, 2006

Moving Stuff

I rang up Brian, at Corporation of Future Employment, who is in purchasing, to ask about how our stuff gets moved. I had a vision of someone a little like, well, imagine a standard vision of someone in purchasing (maybe I've been altered by my experience). But Brian wasn't like that "It's GREAT to speak to you" he said (don't you love Americans? I really was convinced that Brian did think it was great to speak to me. Maybe it was.)

I had sent Brian an email a day or two before this, and he said he had checked out with other people that I was real, and who I said I was, and stuff like that. He told me that it was 'very simple'. He phones up a company called The MI Group , they send a big lorry around to our house, put all our stuff on it, put it on a boat, and send it across the Atlantic. He then writes them a cheque.

One rather nice part of the deal is that we aren't allowed to pack our stuff. Oh no no no. Then it wouldn't be insured. So they have to do it all.

One thing Brian didn't know, and no one I've spoken to seems to know, is how long it will take the boat, with all our stuff, to get across the Atlantic (and possibly through the Panama canal and up the Pacific too).

No comments: