Monday, May 21, 2007

Santa Monica Festival

The day after the Strawberry Festival, it was the Santa Monica festival. At the Strawberry Festival, the boys had been sweetness and light, and had shown amazing stamina. They made up for it at the Santa Monica festival, where they were back to their usual evil selves.

The festival was interesting - it was designed to produce no waste. Everything had to be either recyclable or biodegradable. S went to buy some biodegradable plates and cups (for A and D's 5th birthday party, which is coming up). The people just wanted to tell her about how great the plates were - she just wanted to buy them. This seems to be a common problem in this sort of thing - I go to the Farmer's Market, and buy cheese. The woman at the cheese stall now recognizes me, and says "Oh, I don't need to tell you about the cheese, do I?" But I digress.

We bought some disgustingly coloured and flavored ice, so that the boys could be hyperactive. These came in biodegradable glasses - there's a photo below, but you can't really see them. The glasses looked and felt so like real plastic (hang on, real glasses, made of plastic, oh, you know what I mean) that I didn't believe they actually were biodegradable - I thought it was a con. I tried to bite the spoon, and managed to make a small mark, but that was all, so I wasn't sure about that either. However, there was someone standing by the bin to make sure that we put them in the compost - so then I was convinced.


They (naturally) didn't eat most of the colored ice, so I had to finish it (at $4 we weren't going to let it go to waste, and I was thirsty). A and D sat on police motorbikes - they were Santa Monica police motorbikes, not California Highway Patrol (as in CHiPs - who remembers Ponch and Jon). The boys didn't mind that though. (Incidentally, the California Highway Patrol is always called CHP).

Notice D's mouth is red, from the frozen ice thing.


No comments: