Sunday, December 24, 2006

Christmas Eve

Today was Christmas Eve, which S, being German, thinks is Christmas day. But she also thinks it doesn't start until about 4pm - it's all very confusing.

Anyway, as a present for me, from me, I'd bought a camera - my excuse being because I'd lost the old one when we moved house. Bizarrely, today I found the old one, in the place where it's supposed to be, and where I'd looked about 5 times. S says that I told her not to bother looking there, because it wouldn't be there, and was cross. Anyway, I also bought a book about how to take nice looking pictures with one's digital camera.

Anyway, at the end of the book, it mentioned a website called istockphoto.com, which is a picture agency, but anyone can upload pictures, and anyone can buy pictures (pictures cost a dollar to three dollars to download) so I had this great idea that, having read my book, I'd go and take artistic photos and make piles of cash.

Except it's really hard to take photos that anyone except one's mother would be proud of, if you were ten years old that is.

Anyway, we went to the beach today, because we could, and I took photos that no one would want to pay money for, and I'm putting some of them here. You don't have to pay, but you do have to spend time (if you want to), and time is money, so I'd stop now, if I were you.

This one is a lifeguard's boat, which was just hanging around.

Here are some people swimming. On Christmas Eve.


This was my first ever attempt at a really long (30 second) exposure, of a night time city scene. It's almost got something going for it. In the same way that if I painted a picture of a woman in a green dress, it would almost be like the Mona Lisa.



On the way home, we passed someone who was making ice sculptures in the street outside his house. They were lit from underneath, and looked quite impressive, in a way that is singularly not captured in these photos. D and A were very sad that they couldn't lick them.




This is A and D on the beach, silhouetted at sunset. If they didn't have their bicycle helmets on still, they wouldn't look like freaks.

No comments: