Saturday, December 09, 2006

Pharmacies

We didn't go into a pharmacy (or drug store) for a while - after all, we weren't ill, and we didn't need any aspirins. Until I went to Trader Joe's too late, and it had closed. The pharmacy had a sign outside saying that they had milk. We needed milk, and so I went there.

Pharmacies in England could learn a thing or two from these - it was amazing. First of all, all the medicine was out on the shelves - you didn't need to ask for anything. None of this "Is this for you? Have you taken this medication before? Do you suffer from ....". Instead, it's "200 paracetamol and a bottle of vodka? That will be [some amazing bargain price]". Actually, I've not noticed if they sell vodka, but they do sell wine and beer. The only thing that is actually behind the counter that you need to ask for is cigarettes. (The one I was in today had a sign that said "Our main priority is your wellbeing" - but you're selling ciggies! Actually, I don't know if that one did sell ciggies, but I wouldn't have been surprised.)

As I've already mentioned today, they also sell toys. Alarm clocks and radios and stuff like that (I bought an alarm clock which is one of those that sets itself by radio signal, which means it doesn't matter when the boys press the buttons on it - it gets back to the right time).

They sell quite a lot of food (not much fresh, except milk, so no bread). They sell paper and pens and ink for inkjet printers. You could almost live by only shopping in pharmacies.

No comments: