Saturday, February 03, 2007

Avocados

Also at the farmers market, there were avocados for sale. I grew up with avocados being eaten out of a pear shaped dish, with a dash of tomato vinaigrette, but I've never seen an avocado treated that way here (come to think of it, I've never seen an avocado treated that way in the UK since I was about 15, but anyway ...)

They way I've almost never seen an avocado treated in the UK is to put them in a sandwich (except for at Mair's, a delicatessen near our house, and they sold all sorts of weird stuff in their sandwiches, my favorite on the weirdness scale being chili-peanut butter and banana; they also did garlic peanut butter and chocolate). Here, avocados go in sandwiches and on burgers - in Subway, it's an optional extra on any sandwich, in The Shack, which is a bar that sells burgers near us, it's an option, it's standard in one of the sandwiches at CoCE, and always an option.

Anyway, where was I, oh yes, the farmers market. They had a stall selling avocados, and they had 4 kinds (bacon, hass, fuerte and zutano). They varied in price from $1.50 to $3.00 for an avocado. Does this mean that your average avocado buyer in these parts can (and does) distinguish between different kinds of avocado, as I might distinguish between different kinds of apples? But at least different types of apple look different - these looked like, well they looked like avocados. I bought $2.00 ones because I didn't want to look like a cheapskate, and I thought that maybe if they cost more, they were better, and because they were 3 for $5. And then the man threw an extra one in for free.

This last point was a problem, because if there's one thing that gets me in trouble with S (well, there are lots of things but this is one of them) it's buying too many avocados.

No comments: