Thursday, February 08, 2007

Ride to work

Here's a video of my bike ride to work.


Some people (who shall remain nameless, but we'll call JD) have complained about the music in some videos so we'll have a change of style here.

I did it by taping a mini-tripod onto my handlebar extender, and putting the camera on that. It was a bit shakey though (as you can see). It's not absolutely accurate, because I started from the apartment, not from outside the garage where I keep my bike (because I forgot something, and I didn't want to leave my bike with the camera attached in the garage). I'd have taken a photo of the bike with camera on it, except that I couldn't, obviously.

Remember those books that you used to be able to get that told you where to fast forward your video to get to the naughty bits in films? (You don't? Oh. Well, someone told me about them). Well, in a similar vein, here's a guide to things in the video. Not naughty bits though. Interesting bits. Maybe slightly less boring bits is more accurate.


0:42 - You can just glimpse our yellow car - S was returning from dropping A and D off at nursery.
0:55 - normally there's a nice view from here. But not today, it was misty.
1:11 - Yum Yum 24 hour donut shop on the right. (Yum Yum being the name of the shop).
2:01 - if it wasn't a misty day, you'd be able to see the sea ahead.
2:17 - I'm looking in my handlebar bag for something.
2:37 - Marina is on the left here 'creek' is on the right.
3:19 - A bicycle jam
3:36 - Overtaken! He won't get away with that.
4:40 - I caught him. A brief traffic light chat, about why I had a camera tied to my handlebars.
4:51 - this is a park with exercise equipment. It's common to see people exercising here, very seriously.
5:33 - He did get away with that. (Note to self - don't try to keep up with people who are obviously fitter than you, and on racing bikes. Or legs will hurt. For days.)
6:10 - If I went straight on here, I'd be on Venice Pier.
6:15 - This is Venice beach, but it's not what people think of as Venice beach.
6:39 - There is an ambulance here, with it's lights flashing, and a lifeguard car next to it. I couldn't see if they'd just heroically dragged someone from the water though.
6:50 - This is what you think of as Venice Beach. There are courts (for handball? Not quite sure) in the picture. Muscle Beach is to the right.
6:54 - The red thing on the left is a homeless person in a sleeping bag.
7:03 - That's a man pushing a pram with twins in it, whilst rollerskating. (Rollerskating pram pushers are very common).
7:11 - Shops and stuff at Venice Beach, with shutters down.
7:53 - There is a caravan thing on the right, with aboutusnow.com written on the side of it. I've been to that website, and I still don't understand.
8:06 - about here we enter Santa Monica - I've never quite worked out where the border is.
9:00 - If it wasn't misty, you'd be able to see Santa Monica pier now - it's 2 blocks down, but I turn off the beach here.
9:32 - CoCE is on the left here.
9:35 - Mushroom cloud sculpture on the right.
9:40 - CoCE are a bit fussy about being photographed, and so here we stop.

No comments: