Saturday, February 03, 2007

Two pics of our neighbourhood

Here's a couple of pictures taken near our house. The first is a panorama shot (I'm not bored of them yet!) of the lagoon near our house. You need to click on the picture to make it bigger. It goes nearly 360 degrees, so the playground at the left and right is the same playground. The lagoon is fairly stagnant, and is a wildlife reserve - you're not allowed to swim in it, paddle in it, or have any kind of toy in it. If you look extraordinarily hard, at the end of the lagoon there is a white triangle sticking up - that's a yacht, on the other side of the causeway, heading into the marina. (Which sounds pleasant, but adds 2 miles to my bike ride, 'cos I have to go around it).

Just to the left of where the sun is setting is the beach - there are some sand dunes in the way, so you can't see it (or the sea).

On the left are the public toilets - if I forget to go for a wee at home, before I set off, I usually go here. It's the most secluded restrooms (as I say now) that I pass, and you know by now that you're not going to make it to CoCE.

A and D were on the sand when I took it, but they seem to have disappeared in the merge.



In that picture, you can just about see the hill on the left, which we live on. The first thing to note about the hill is that it makes the last part of my bike ride home considerably less pleasant than it might otherwise be. The second is that it's an enormous sand dune. It's the sand dune that continues into the Sand Dune Park (which I've written about before).

And the fact that it's a sand dune, and the fact that there is the occasional earthquake in Southern California (and Northern too, so I could have just said California there) makes me feel nervous every time I see the house in the second photo.

No comments: