Friday, April 06, 2007

Again!

I've been riding my bike to college, university and/or work since I was about 16 (with occasional gaps when I lived too far away - e.g. 1990 to 1992, I never rode to work). And in that time, I can count the number of times I've come a cropper on one hand, with fingers spare. In (about) 1988, my front wheel slipped when I braked on a slope, and I slipped off, with no injuries. In about 1993 there were some roadworks on the way to work, and that made me fall off - I cut my thumb.

Until this week. First on Monday I took a tumble, and then today I was riding along, and I needed to go to the bathroom (as I now say). I rode off the cycle path, and across a paved area, towards the restrooms (as I now sometimes say). In this paved area there used to be some trees, but now there all big holes in the ground, full of sand. If you're looking at the big holes full of sand, it's obvious that they're not ground. But if you're looking at the toilets, to see which one is for chaps, and only looking at the ground out of the corner of your eye, it's not obvious. And then, when you hit the sand, sink gently into it, stop quite suddenly, and fall off sideways, it gives you quite a fright. At least in my experience.

Oh, and a grazed knee.

You can see the trees on this map. They're not there anymore. Obviously.

No comments: