Saturday, September 19, 2009

No pizza

We went to the Theodore Payne Foundation Nursery today, to buy some plants (they sell native Californian plants, some of which are endangered and which don't need much water) - but that's not what this is about. On the way the boys were hungry, so I went to buy some pizza. I went into Little Caesar's on Crenshaw, and all the staff were on the phone. I waited, and they kept on the phone, ignoring me. Eventually someone got off the phone, and wandered over to the register. They poked at it a bit, and looked in the drawers. Eventually they acknowledged my existence.

I asked if they had any pizzas ready. She sort of looked confused, and said no, and closed the door on the place they keep the ready pizzas. I asked if I could have a pizza, with the complicated selections the boys wanted (involving one quarter black olives, one quarter tomatoes AND black olives, etc). I spent a while explaining it to her - she didn't seem to get it. Eventually she said "We've got no pizza. We've got no money. We've been robbed."

Then two policemen came in. I said I'd return later (which wasn't true, but I didn't want to make her feel bad). As I was leaving I heard her saying "Two black guys ... semi-automatic".

No comments: