Thursday, September 03, 2009

We've commissioned Mr Carlos Pools

A letter, and a blank piece of paper.
We've spent months since we moved in agonizing and thinking and having people over and then agonizing and then thinking some more about getting a swimming pool . On Sunday we finally bit the bullet, and got Steve, from Mr Carlos pools, around for the third time, and made him measure and think and draw plans and calculate and measure again, and so on. Steve seemed to know what he was talking about more than some of the other designers we had, didn't suggest that we needed a landscape designer (that made S really cross) and also was amongst the cheapest.

Then we signed a contract to build a pool in our back yard.

But there's a weird Los Angeles (or maybe California, or somewhere anyway) that if you want a pool that's seven feet deep, you have to be seven feet from the neighbors. Unless you get permission from the neighbors, in writing. Trouble is our neighbor is about 107 and bedridden, and we've never seen, let alone spoken to her. (We know she exists, because an ambulance turns up once in a while, with red flashing lights, to revive her; or something). Anyway, you don't have to get permission if you write them a letter (recorded delivery) and they don't respond within 30 days. And we think that her responding is pretty unlikely.

So the nice people at Mr Carlos and Associates (weird name for a company - but apparently it was started in the 1950s, and Mr Carlos is still about) said that they would send me a letter as an example of what to write to her. Except they don't have a scanner, and I don't have a fax. So they copied it and posted it. Except they were too moronic to notice that the photocopy (which was of a fax) was so poor that they might as well have sent a blank piece of paper.

So, in our usual fashion of finding highly skilled tradespeople, we expect people who can't read (it appears) to be able to build a swimming pool made of steel and concrete and electricity and chemicals. (And water, I suppose.)

But maybe it's different people. We'll see.

Picture at the top shows the letter they sent on the bottom, with a random letter that I had lying around (it's actually about driving in Mexico). The letter they sent really is the right way up.

10 comments:

Needapool said...

I have Steve from Mr. Carlos pools coming to my house this weekend to bid on my pool project. He seems very nice and always returns my calls. Do you know anything else about Mr. Carlos pools? From what I have researched they have an A+ rating with the BBB. But I can't find any reviews on them good or bad.

Jeremy Miles said...

I never found a review either. That's why I decided to write about the process here. Steve seems to know what he's talking about, and the office people have sorted it out (they retyped the letter).

We had Steve around 3 times in total.

Needapool said...

Yes he does seem to know what he is talking about. He was very nice and didn't try to upsell me on anything I didn't need. He also gave me some names of people in my area that he recently finished pools for. I'm still waiting for bids from 2 other pool builders to come in. But in the meantime I will definetly call the refrences to see how their experience was with mr carlos pools. I let you know. Keep the posts coming on your pool. I'm looking foward to it.

Anonymous said...

I too "needapool" and am considering getting an estimate from Mr. Carlos, but notice there are no reviews. Can you tell me about your experiences? Thanks!

Jeremy Miles said...

Hey everyone, leave your email address in the comments - the comments are seen by me before they're published. I'll note your address, and email you, and then reject the comment.

Anonymous said...

Hello-
I've followed your pool building adventure, and wonder if you can give me any advice-I live in Glendale, not too far from your area and I want to put in a pool. Did you get bids from other builder? Would you recommend Mr. Carlos? Did they include permits, and all other incidentals in their price?
Thanks!

MMasters7@gmail.com

Anonymous said...

We are in the middle of construction with Mr. Carlos Pools. It has been a nightmare. The contractor license has been changed since he is or was running under someone else's contractor license number. We started our complaint with the Board of Contractors Licensing today. Find another company or sub in yourself. You will have have to do it all yourself anyway.

Anonymous said...

If your considering building a pool with Mr. Carols. my advise is DON'T DO IT. You will find your self aimlessly making decisions, over seeing the job and in a constant state of frustration. They have an outstanding sales team such as Steve, Wes and Gary himself. They are knowledgeable, charming and low sales pressure, however there contract is obscure, many up charges will be added and illegals will be assisting in the labor to keep there over head low. The do not offer a project manager or help are willing to do you want if you tell them exactly what you want but offer you advice, help or project manager. You may even get talked out of the upgrade you paid for. You will never meet the owner and they do not have a professional office from what I understand. The people i have spoken to that have contracted Mr. Carlos have had the same dreadful experience as I it has been over 7 months and the pool still is not complete nor is any help available. It does not take long before working with Mr. Carlos and gang puts a strain on your marriage.

Did I mention that Mr.Carlos of 50 years is dead and they run there business under someone else's contractors license. Beware you may get a visit from the state contracting board like i did and several other past clients. It makes one feel foolish when they are confident in there choice of pool builder and get taken for a ride. w wise shop around and do your homework.

Anonymous said...

I was rippef off for 34k cash to Mr. Carlos / and his agent Benito and Gary Gunderson two months months after my pool was filled a 23 Ft crack appeared in the bottom of the pool I tried contacting them there number was changed I sent a letter to them and but no reply I filed a complaint to the Licence board over three months ago I have yet to here the these people are crooks and should be in Jail

Anonymous said...

Worst company ever, at the beginning everything was fine, but once they poured The gunite, it was months and months before they came back to finish, which they never did. I had to fire them and hire mother company to correct all their mistakes and finish the pool. For every step I had to call the city for inspection, because the people at Mr. Carlos would just not do it. Save yourself money, time, and being miserable. Dont hire these people.