Thursday, September 07, 2006

London bound

We had moved out of our house on the 25th (our original planned departure date) and so were staying with J & K, for a week. On Saturday morning, we sold our car, and rented another car. The nice people at Enterprise came and picked us up from J & K's house. ("What's your address?" I told them our address. "So why did we pick you up from somewhere else?" Errrr...).

On Sunday, we picked up the cat, and drove to my sister's house, in London. There was an enormous traffic jam on the M1, caused by an accident involving an SUV, which had been towing a caravan. The car was lying upside down in the fast lane, and the caravan was sort of sideways on the crash barrier. I thought bad thoughts about people who (a) drove SUVs, and (b) pulled caravans. But I put them out of my mind.

When we finally arrived in London, we were greeted by (wait for it) my sister, J, partner G, children, C, B, E, N, my mother, my other sister, S, partner, G (again - I've never noticed that before), and baby L. Uncle P came shortly afterwards. An enormous saucepan of spaghetti was cooked, and eaten. Then another. Then the remaining people ate toast.

A and D slept that night in two armchairs pushed together to make a bed - one at each end. They thought that was quite exciting.

In the morning, we headed to the airport.

No comments: