Monday, September 25, 2006

No one cares ...

I was wandering about in Borders on Saturday, when I saw a book called No one cares what you had for lunch ... about how not to write boring blocs. However, I didn't buy it, and so I'm going to tell you what I had for lunch. But first, I hear the cries, "J, you have two small children, how to you have time to potter about Borders?"

The reason is that S found a German class, which lasts three hours on a Saturday morning. The boys were very excited, and S made them Schultute and they were very excited about it. The school was held (perhaps surprisingly) in a school. It was a bugger to find, we didn't have a number, we just new the street name, and the street it was off. So we went to the street, and searched for something that looks like a school. American schools might look different, but I still think we'd be able to distinguish them from, say, houses. So we cruised up and down the road, asking confused passers by where there was a school on the street. Passers by were confused - the road was plainly short, and there was no school on it.

S was on her mobile trying to find someone who could find the school details on the web, and get the number for the person in charge, so we could find it. Eventually the SatNav thing on the rental car saved the day. It turned out that the road stopped and then continued about a mile away. When we had that information, finding the school was easy, and there was a sign that said "German class ->", so off we trotted.

This meant that S and I had 3 hours on a Saturday morning. Bliss! Freedom! Excitement! So we went to Borders, and saw the book. We didn't buy it, we bought some other books instead, and then we went to the Farmer's Market, and bought some fruit and veg.

I've been kind of disappointed by the oranges here. My favorite oranges are the big Spanish navel ones. But you can't get oranges like that here (or maybe you can, but I can't find them). They are all smaller, and they all have seeds in. But the oranges at the farmer's market were very, very cheap. Eight pounds of oranges cost $4, and they were really fresh and ripe. Much riper and nice than oranges in England - I guess that's 'cos they can leave them on the trees until the last minute. We also got some small, yellow tomatoes that were very yummy - so yummy that A and D almost ate some. But not quite.

So, we got home and I opened a carton of broth from Trader Joe's. I always think of broth as being sort of thick soup, although this was more like very thin stock. I've just done a search for a definition of broth, and it does say it's thin stock. However, I was expecting something like soup, and so was kind of disappointed. So we threw some spaghetti in, and some peas (from the farmer's market), and it was still less than satisfying but it was better than slightly green water which it was before.

No comments: