Tuesday, November 28, 2006

What to listen to?

I never know what music to listen to. So I've had an idea. iTunes, which came with my (lovely) iPod, says that on my hard disk, I have 14 days and 11 hours worth of music.

I thought about putting it on random play, but I kind of disapprove of that. On the cover of LouReed's album New York it says (something like) "This CD is designed to be listened to all the way through, in order. Like a film or a book." It's kind of pompous, but I sort of agree.

So I've decided to listen to it all. All the way through. In alphabetical order (artist/album). If I listen for 8 hours a day (which is probably an overestimate), that will take 43.5 days. Or almost 9 weeks. I got through A today - Alice Cooper's greatest hits was much better than I remembered. There's going to be some tricky bits though. Leonard Cohen is going to take a day or two to get through, and there's 192 songs by Frank Zappa, and some of them are long. Shut up and play yer guitar has three CDs, but only 18 tracks. That's going to be half a day on its own. Luckily the alphabetical order (rather than thematic) rule, means that there's going to be a decent gap between that and Guitar. (If you didn't know, these are albums of FZ playing [accompanied] guitar solos. None of that verse chorus verse nonsense. Or even any singing. Or gaps.)

There's going to be embarrassing moments too. Luckily no one came in during Let Go ("Ooh" I can hear them say "I didn't have you down as a teeny bopper").

No comments: