Sunday, October 22, 2006

Aquarium Trip


We went to the local aquarium today. But it was closed. So instead we went to the fair. We went on the carousel (except there are signs saying that people over 200 lbs aren't allowed on the horses - they have to go in the chariots instead. :(

Then we went to a thing where you had to try to climb a horizontal ladder, which spun around. There was an adult one and a kiddie one, so A and D went on the kiddie one. Fairground attendants are traditionally supposed to be surly, but this one was the surliest one I have ever met. I paid my $4 for two goes. Poor D went on, got about half way and fell off. The ladder swung around and biffed him on the head, just above his eye, and he cried (of course). The attendant continued to stare straight ahead.

There was a sign that said "Prize every time", so I told D that, because he had done so well, he would get a prize. I asked the attendant for the prize. (She was standing next to a bucket of cuddly toys). She looked straight ahead. I asked again, and she looked at me, looking confused and blank. I asked again, pointing at the sign. She said "None left". I suggested that perhaps she might have mentioned this before I coughed up my money. I asked for my $2 back that I hadn't used, and she then searched through the cuddly toys, and found a keyring for D. A went on, with a similar result (without getting bashed on the head though) and this time got a keyring without another word being exchanged.

Then we went to the beach, where there were some ropes and things. I climbed a rope, for about the second time since I was at school. But I need to work on my technique - it scraped my ankle in a rather painful fashion. (Or maybe I need to wear boots - I noticed a couple of people who were very good at climbing were wearing boots.)

No comments: