Tuesday, October 10, 2006

No buts ...

I went to our local convenience store last night, to buy some butter. (We had interestingly different colored boiled potatoes to eat, but S wouldn't eat them without butter [or margo]). It's called a convenience store, because it's nearby. It should be called an inconvenience store, because it's almost physically impossible to carry enough money there to actually buy anything.

Anyway, it's run by a Korean lady, who is very friendly and nice, and knows D and A's names - she shouted their names when they went in, but they didn't notice, because of her accent they didn't understand what she was saying.

I asked her where the butter was. She didn't understand. "Butter", I said. (The best approximation I can do to my pronunciation is to say that it might almost rhyme with the way you say 'footer'.) I was about to start mimicking spreading something on bread, when she understood. (Which is good, my attempts at sign language usually just lead to confusion.)

"Ah!" she said "badder". So now I have to ask for badder. Honestly, it's bad enough having to pronounce the symbol b as 'baider' (I have to say that surprisingly often at work), I don't know if I can ask for badder.

No comments: