Saturday, October 28, 2006

Toilets

I was going to write about toilets, but that seems a bit too biological, so I thought I'd write about toilet doors instead. The door cubicles have gaps - they don't fit quite right, and there's a gap which approaches a half inch. Which is more than you need, in my opinion. (Well, I don't think you need any.)

The walls are also not quite high enough. At CoCE, if two people in stalls stood up at the same time, they could look each other directly in the eye. From a distance that would be uncomfortably close, even if you didn't have your pants around your ankles.

Some public toilets don't even have doors on the cubicles. I don't know if this is because they fell off, or were vandalised off, or never had them. But I'd have to be very, very, very desperate before I'd go and do my business in one of them. And I've have to have a group of very big men standing outside the toilet (not just outside the toilet, outside the building) linking arms to form a wall, to make sure no one came in. And I'd prefer it if they had some sort of weapon. (Not a gun, just some sort of truncheon.)

Oh, and one other thing, while I'm on about toilets. I've never understood toilet seat covers. What are they for? How do you use them? When I try, they just fall off. And where do you put the flap bit from the middle? At the front, or at the back? I've tried both, and neither seems satisfactory. Normally, when one goes somewhere new and encounters something weird, you can copy someone else. But there's not much opportunity for toilet behavior like that. Well, I could just peer over the wall, but that's the sort of thing that is easily misunderstood.

No comments: