Saturday, October 21, 2006

Farmer's market

I took the boys to German school today, and then went to the Farmer's Market. It sounds like a cliche, but it's true that there are always so many weird and interesting things to buy, that it's amazing, and I always buy more than I can carry.

Today I bought some cherry tomatoes. Nothing unusual there, except that one lot was very pale yellow (some were absolutely white, but they cost more) and one lot was a deep reddy-browny-purple (that's the first picture). I also got some fresh pistachios (second picture) - I've never seen fresh pistachios before, the woman that sold them said that they are only available for a few weeks, and they don't keep, so you have to eat them. They look like pistachios, except they are soft and raw, and you peel them, like, ermmm.... like I can't think what. I got some pistachio oil from the same place - I don't know about you, but I've squeezed pistachios pretty hard, and no oil has come out of them.

Then I bought the (now traditional) 8 pound bag of (organic) oranges, for $5, and some grapes and strawberries (which weren't really interesting, but I'm being completist). Oh, and a white orchid in a pot, for S. I'm going to surprise her with it later. It's OK to write it here, because she never reads this (it's mine, and it's on the internet. Two reasons it's boring. Shortly after we first met, I gave her a final draft of a book I'd just finished. She said it was great. A couple of months later, I went to check something in it, and I'd missed a chapter. She hadn't noticed. And that wasn't on the internet).

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Ha ha ha. I knew you had to place that book story somewhere. Just for the record: it was a statistics book and nobody reads these like a novel cover to cover. Oh, except for you. Maybe you want to share with your readers the kind of holiday reading you pack, like the time when we went to Cuba which was almost our honeymoon. S.