Thursday, October 12, 2006

Eating out

Some things might be expensive, but eating out isn't one of them.

At our local convenience store, 6 English muffins cost $4, which is about 66c each. In the canteen at work, a muffin, toasted, with a plate and a knife to throw away, and butter or margo, costs 60c.

My whole idea of what should be paid in a restaurant has changed. There is an Indian restaurant near us, it looks quite good - it advertises outside that they use no butter, it's low fat, no artificial color or flavor. But it costs around $10 for a main course, and you have to add a tip and tax to that, so it will be about $14, which is 8 around 8 pounds, and includes rice and (organic) salad. Phew! It would have to be a special occasion to go there.

Instead, we go to the Mexican place next door, which is $5 for a burrito that I can't eat, which comes with guacamole. There are little pots to put salsa in (there's 4 kinds), freshly chopped coriander (I say cilantro now), sliced chillis and chopped onions and tomatoes.

There was discussion on the freakonomics blog about tipping recently. I tip pretty generously at places like that (20%-25%) because I reckon that I'm probably the only person with an English accent who wears a t-shirt that says "I am statistics Ninja", so they are going to remember me, and then next time, I'll get, well, I don't know what I'll get, but it will be good.

No comments: